Monday, March 2, 2009

First Words...

How are you supposed to know your child's first word when they don't say it 100% perfectly? Most toddlers won't pronounce words just like we say them! I've wondered if Colton has said "DaDa" or "more (muh)." I'm never positive since he doesn't use the words consistently and because he uses those sounds for other things. While in the bath tub today, Colton was playing and while reaching for his rubber ducky, he said "du du". I think he was saying "duck"!!! I got so excited, but couldn't get him to say it again. who knows!?!

The big question: what do we put in his baby book for first word? I am waiting to fill that blank in when I am sure!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

haha, I'm am the SAME way! I've been trying to figure out if Grant is associating ma-ma with me. He says it other times but today he looked at me and said ma-ma. But then I think, is that his word or just a fluke?

Hannah's first word was "du" for duck. Same situation, she saw the duck in her tub and said "du." I just kept pointing to the duck everytime she'd take a bath and say, "what's this?" and she'd say "du." But it is a little frustrating not knowing for sure if it's their first word or not! I'm totally with you on that!